Tales of Taiwan: Of Eating and Enriching

BESIDES sightseeing, there are more to enjoy in Taiwan and one of those is eating. Not only is Taiwanese cuisine full of flavors, it also speaks a lot about the people’s culture. This is best exemplified by street food, which locals eat in their day-to-day basis.


Another discovery that I made is that food is truly affordable in the Asian country making it a delight to foreign tourists particularly to those on a “budget” like me.

In Taipei alone, food stalls are aplenty on major streets and food market so be always on the lookout for places with plenty of people. This means the food is sought after. But one thing is for certain, that food in every stall is certified delicious and clean despite its affordability.

Here are my must-try:



Machang, or rice dumplings, a savory and heavy dish that features well-cooked and -seasoned pork, vegetables and spices inside a triangular shaped rice “ball.” It is best eaten with lots of salty and spicy condiments and then best paired with a refreshing bowl of radish soup.


The lovely Taiwanese duo (or couple?) who prepared the delicious food I ate in a humble, street-side eatery. My heart melts with the sincerity of their smiles. Only proved that language must never be a barrier to appreciate good food.


Chinese pot stickers, elongated dimsum that are steamed and then pan fried. The guiltier choice yes, but worth it. Eaten at Taichung with my cousin Amy, who works in Taitung.


On my first night in Taipei, I walked alone and chanced upon a neighboring teppanyaki resto. Diners got to check the ingredients they wanted and the chefs stir fried in front of them. I was feeling healthy that night so I chose tofu, egg and vegetables, and no rice.


When I went shopping at Ximending, the modern and posh retail district of Taipei, I made sure to taste the famous oyster omelet.


I wanted to try this popular flour-rice noodle, that is reminiscent of the misua, offered in a joint somewhere in Ximending but line was long and I was pressed for time. I will make sure not to miss this on my next visit.


I also learned that fast food giants Mister Donut and Mos Burger hailing from Japan were huge hits in Taipei. Locals are seen frequenting their chains all throughout the day.


I highly recommend to eat here to get a feel of the community. (Take note, Mister Donut doughnuts from Taiwan are different from the brand’s products here in the Philippines.)

And those, my friends and readers, are just the tip of the iceberg, so they say. There are many more exciting street food to relish and regional cuisines to discover.

Nevertheless, I can conclude that eating in Taiwan is an enriching experience.

(TEXT AND PHOTOS: ©EUDENVALDEZ)

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.